|This page contains links to past events organized by Astronomy Ireland recently and in the past:
Christmas Lecture December 8th "Living in the Sun's Atmosphere"
By well known TV personality Dr. Lucie Green, of Mullard Space Science
Laboratory, U.K. and presenter of BBC's 'Stardate' program.
December 1st Moon Venus Occultation - images HERE
November 29 WORLD PREMIERE "MARS" HERE
Nov. 20th Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic Event took place
in the Science
Gallery with Bill Cullen and Stephen Attenborough. Pictures and Report HERE
November 10th "Smoking Stars"
by Dr Simon Jeffery of Armagh Observatory
Saturday November 8th Astro-Expo 2008 Report
Astronomy Ireland's David Grennan discovers
asteroid - the second discovered from Ireland in just two weeks HERE
Catch the Astronomy Ireland Radio Show with Mikey Graham of Boyzone
on Tuesday evening 21 October HERE
October 7th New Irish Asteroid discovered by Dave McDonald, in
his observatory in Celbridge, Dublin. HERE
Monday October 13 "Searching for
stars around other planets from Ireland" by Greg Hallinan
On Wednesday, September 10th, the LHC in CERN was switched on.
- September 8 Public Lecture "Light
Pollution in Ireland" by Albert White of Ilpac
- Star-B-Q Saturday August 30th Report and images HERE
the 16 August Astronomy Ireland set up telescopes
countrywide to view the partial Lunar Eclipse which
was visible all
- August 11 "The
key to understanding the Universe" by Professor Michael
Rowan Robinson, President of the Royal Astronomical Society.
Get this amazing Lecture on DVD HERE
- Perseid Meteor Shower 11th/12th/13th August -Astronomy Ireland is asking everyone to contribute to a scientific count of this years Perseid display. See
HERE for details on how YOU can contribute to science.
September 8 Public Lecture "Light
Pollution in Ireland" by Albert White of Ilpac
1st Solar Eclipse - REPORT HERE.
- July 14 Dublin
and July 15 Cork "The
History of Astronomy" by Heather Couper and Nigel Henbest
NASA discovers ice on Mars HERE
- Monday May 26th: Phoenix Lands Safely on Mars!
- May 16th at 8pm FREE Public Lecture.
NASA ASTRONAUT IN LIMERICK
- 15 May ESA Astronaut Dr. Gerhard Thiele paid a visit
to Astronomy Ireland to be interviewed for our Magazine
and Radio Show about ESA's
search for an Astronaut. RTE television News dropped in too.
Report and pictures here...
12 May Public Lecture "Engaging
youth: An Astronomical Journey in 3D" by Robert Hill of the Northern Ireland Space
Office in Armagh Planetarium.
- May 1 Thursday Telescope Night in Phoenix Park,
Dublin Pictures and Report...
15 April Nationwide Public Saturn Watches in various locations throughout Ireland. Report
- 14 April Public Lecture "Searching
for Dark Matter and Mini Black Holes" by Dr. Brian Cox,
ex pop group D-ream, University of Manchester and
- March 31: Public Lecture "Adventures
with the Hubble Telescope" by Lars Lindberg Christiansen
29 Earth Hour Telescope Night report...
- March 12: Moon Watches Nationwide report.....
10: Public Lecture - "Shooting
the Eclipse with Patrick Moore" by Carl O'Beirnes and
David Grennan who were recently on the
BBC Sky At Night programme with Patrick Moore imaging
the lunar eclipse.
Eclipse of Moon – Last good one until 2015 REPORT
- February 11: Public Lecture - "LISA - Gravitational Wave Mission" By Dr Harry Ward, Institute for Gravitational Research, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- January 30: Evening Classes
- January 26: Galway Festival
- January 23: Nationwide Mars watches (Report)
- January 14: Public Lecture - "Interpreting Meteorites: a paradigm shift" By Dr. Ian Sanders, Trinity College Dublin
- January 10-12: Young Scientists Exhibiton.
Events 2007 (Calendar list of events)
- December 14: Nationwide Mars and Geminid Watches.
- December 10: Public Lecture - "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence" By Dr. Tim O'Brien, Jodrell Bank Observatory, UK.
28ú Mí na Samhna "Na
réaltaí agus an Spéir san Oíche" le Eamonn O'Fearcháin.
- November 25: Astro-Expo
- November 24: Day trip to Armagh Planetarium
- November 14: Public lecture in Athlone: "The Big Bang" by Dave McCann
It is with great sadness and shock that we have learned that Astronomy Ireland's Space Flight correspondent Colm
J. Cannon has passed away
- November 13: Nationwide Uranus and Comet Holmes watches REPORT
- November 12: Public Lecture - "Near Earth Asteroids" By Dr. Neil McBride, Planetary and Space Sciences Research Institute, Open University, UK. in association with Discover Science and Engineering.
- November 5,6,7: Public lecture in Galway, Cork, Dundalk: "The Day the Sun Attacked the Earth" by renowned writer Stuart Clark.
- C/2007 F 1 Loneos comet HERE
- October 11: Astronomy Evening Classes
- October 8: Public Lecture - "Extrasolar Planets and the hunt for life in the Universe" By Dr. Ian Stevens, University of Birmingham, Uk. in association with Discover Science and Engineering.
- September 10: Public Lecture - "Supernovae - hunting exploding stars" By Professor Stephen Smartt, Queens University, Belfast in association with Discover Science and Engineering
- September 8: Star-B-Q
- August 13: Public Lecture - "Building a Universe Byte by Byte" By Prof Brad Gibson, Theoretical Astrophysics, University Central Lancashire
- July 9: Public Lecture - "The Birth of Stars and Planets" By Dr Emma Whelan of the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS)
- June 11: Public Lecture - "The Heliosphere-Living inside the Sun's Atmosphere" By Dr. Peter Gallagher, Trinity College Dublin
- May 14: Public Lecture - "Digital Deep Sky Astrophotography" By Dave Grennan and Jed Glover
- May 5: Star-B-Q
- April 24: Astronomy Ireland Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of "The Sky at Night" with Sir Patrick Moore OBE. Report
- April 16: Public Lecture - "Black holes: observation, theory and geometry" By Dr. Oisin MacConamhna
- March 12: Public Lecture - "Bang" By Dr. Chris Lintott of BBC's Sky at Night programme
- March 3: Nationwide Lunar Eclipse Watch. Details
- February 12: Public Lecture - "The Universe- A Biography" By Dr. John Gribbin, Sussex University, UK
- January 31: Beginner's Astronomy Evening Classes Trinity College
- January 9-13: BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition
- January 8: Public Lecture - "Black Holes and White Rabbits" By Professor John Brown, Astronomer Royal for Scotland
- December 13: Countrywide Geminid Watches
- December 11: Christmas Lecture, Trinity College, " Women in Astronomy" by Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell of Oxford University.
- December 10: "The Solar System, A Guided Tour" by Colm J. Cannon - 3.00pm in the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre, Phoenix Park
- December 2: Hundreds attend Astro-Expo 2006 Ireland's Biggest Astronomy and Space Exhibition which was opened by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Councillor Vincent Jackson.
- November 28: Uranus-Moon Watch and Telescope Show Report
- November 17: Leonid Meteor Shower to put on an extra special display. Read more
- November 13: Public Lecture, Schrodinger Theatre, TCD. "Blackrock Castle Robotic Observatory" by Dr. Niall Smith of CIT
- November 9,10,11,12: Stand at Toys 4 Big Boys in the RDS
- November 1: Hundreds attend Moon and Comet SWAN Watches Nationwide
- October 20: Public Lecture, Schrodinger Theatre, TCD. As part of Maths Week "Mathematics, the Stars and Black Holes" by Dr. Peter Duffy.
- October 12: Astronomy classes
- October 9: Public Lecture Trinity College "Mars - our Origin and Destiny" By Kevin Nolan of the Planetary Society.
- September 14: Cork Branch Meeting - Guest Speaker John McCarthy Topic: "Launch of the Space Shuttle Atlantis" More
- September 11: Major Public Lecture, Trinity College, "Current European Space Exploration", by Professor David Southwood, Science Director of the European Space Agency.
- September 7: Partial Lunar Eclipse visible at 7:49pm More
- August 26: Star-B-Q. Nearly 400 people enjoy Ireland's greatest gathering of enthusiasts. Report
- August 14: Public Lecture: "Celestial Mechanics" By Patrick Browne of NUI Galway.
- August 12/13: Perseid Meteor Shower more info
- November 19-20: Astro-Expo - Ireland's biggest FREE Astronomy and Space Exhibition took place in DCU Report
- November 4 :Mars Watches countrywide; Plus Live webcast in association with Vodafone 3G. Report Here
- October 3: Nationwide Solar Eclipse Watches Report and see our Eclipse Page for details on how to observe this special event
- August 26: Star-B-Q. Report
- August 14: Public Lecture "Celestial Mechanics", by Patrick Browne of NUI Galway.
- July 10: Public Lecture "Astronomical Imaging with a CCD Camera", by Kevin Sweeney.
- July 4: Comet Crash Watch reports Nationwide - Deep Impact
- June 12: Public Lecture "Adaptive Optics" by Professor Chris Dainty of NUI Galway.
- June 1: Astronomy Ireland Chairman, David Moore, was on RTE 2 television to explain why anyone in Ireland thinking of going to university really must be thinking of taking a degree in astronomy or nothing at all!
- May 8: Public Lecture "Archaeoastronomical Discoveries" by Paul Griffin.
- April 28: Star-B-Q - 170 people enjoyed a fantastic night in Roundwood with talks, displays, viewing and of course food. Read More
- April 10: Public lecture - "Star Death: Cosmic Pollution and Cosmic Recycling
- March 29: Total Eclipse Trip 2006 Turkey - Incredible, fantastic, emotional!!! - some of the superlatives used for one of the most amazing sights in nature. Full report and pictures of the event
- March 29: Partial Eclipse of Sun visible from Ireland - details here
- March 14: Penumbral Eclipse
- March 13: Public lecture - "The Hunt for Extrasolar Planets in Globular Clusters". By Dr. Ray Butler, Dept. Physics, NUI Galway.
- February 27: "Solar Eclipses - Past, Present and Future" (a must for anyone thinking of going to Turkey for the Eclipse Trip). By David Grennan.
- February 13: "Black Holes: Newton watches Andromeda with X-ray eyes" by Dr. Ulrich Kolb, Open University, U.K.
- January 12, 13, 14: BT Young Scientists Exhibition in the RDS, visit Astronomy Ireland stand there.
- January 12: New year lecture: "The Big Bang" by Dr. Simon Singh in Trinity College
- January 9: New year lecture:; "Challenger and Columbia" by Colm J. Cannon
Events 2004 (calendar list of events)
Events 2003 (Calendar list of events)